7.07.2012

temples of ubud and cafe wayan

Parliamentary elections are taking place right now in Dili.  I am so excited for Timorese to participate in this democratic privilege, and though I am sorry to be missing it, I am happy to report that all is well here in Bali.


Today I am in Ubud, located centrally on island of Bali, in the Indonesian archipelago.  


I left Seminyak this morning and on the way here I passed this temple- one of many like it.  So gorgeous and intricately carved stone, statues and walls.


This little guy welcomed me.


I arrived in Ubud around 11.30 am.  I wandered around Monkey Forest Road (named after the adjacent Monkey Forest) and into Cafe Wayan.  This is my first live post while traveling (they have wi-fi!) and I am excited to say that at this very moment I am on a raised wooden platform sitting on a cushion at a Bailenese carved teak wood table overlooking a beautiful fountain and pond.  The cafe spans the entire alley of a (village) block and though it is long, it feels homey and intimate because of the way each of the raised patios have been secluded from the next with beautiful tropical plants and fountains.  They are all hidden like little secret gardens and you feel like a king.  My waiter, Ketut (no.4), asked me my name and what number I was.  When I told him I was only the first person in my family to have my name he looked a bit disappointed but told me that being the first of my name was good luck. People here are so friendly and lovely.  Everyone smiles at you and makes you feel welcome and as though they are genuinely glad to see you.  

Frangipani flowers fell into the gurgling fountain as I ate my Nasi Campur- a sampling of tempeh, tofu, saffron eggs, sautéed coconut, green beans, vegetarian curry, and corn fritters- served with fruit crackers. Out. Of. This. World. And for only $3.80.


I will unabashedly wax poetic so consider yourself warned.  The sun glinted off the scales of the orange and white carp in the fountain's pool and the algae and tiny leaves that form the blanket of green over the water moved gracefully with the breeze.  


Life really is beautiful here.


Next activity: yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment