10.23.2012

tennis

Living here in Timor has given me the opportunity to get back into things I once loved.  How is it that we forget about things that bring us so much joy?  Life happens, I guess.

I played tennis growing up and for whatever reason stopped playing regularly over the last 10 years.  No more.

I now play 3 times a week at the University courts right behind my office.  It's extremely convenient and an excellent way to unwind and detach from the work day.

There are 2 courts constructed of large concrete slabs, and only a few patches and holes so if you know where they are you can avoid them.  The white and red building behind the fence is the University.  

If you look closely you can see in the far left corner of the court, there is a large greyish-brown banyan tree stump.  I guess they can't really remove it easily because of where it is, so they have been burning it every few days or so for the last 2 months. It's great when its really blazing and the flames are actually through the fence and the white smoke is being blown onto the court (into my face).  That is the side of the court I play on during my lesson so I can attest that poor/smokey air quality does in fact make it more difficult to run around a court.


One of my adorable ball boys.  I pay $2 and for an hour the kids run around the courts and pick up all the balls.  They all know my name now which makes my lessons much more entertaining. 


Partners in crime.


Covered bench area where I hydrate during the 95 degree, full sun, hour-long session of sweat, volleys, rallies and fun.  I would die without this shade.



No comments:

Post a Comment