3.01.2012

new digs



A few days into my being here (end of January) I started looking for a place to live.   During 7 different outings, I visited over 30 places across Dili.  Missions such as house hunting, fact-finding, organizing things, redecorating and anything having to do with nesting are usually right up my alley and this was no exception.  I braced myself, and left my hotel room with a fist full of $1 bills (for taxis), my camera and the map.  I was an explorer in search of the perfect place.  I ended up walking almost the entire length of the shoreline on the map to the left.  


I trudged through pig farms, burning trash piles and mud to be shown places like this that could have worked for me, except for the fact that the water was untreated and had left an unsightly red rash on the current tenant's leg.  No thanks.






This place was OK except that in the bathroom one needed to straddle the toilet to take a shower because the shower head was attached to the wall above the toilet.  Obviously there was no need for a shower curtain or any "extras" there- an opportunity to save some money!  I passed on this one as well.



Though not pictured I also saw a place that was built entirely underground with no natural light or windows, nor no overhead or lamp light.  Were they expecting to rent to bats?  I had to borrow my friend's cigarette lighter to "look" at the apartment.  Though wireless was included, I passed on this one too.


My favorite place in terms of location was the cute yellow compound next to the sea.  I could have thrown a rock into the ocean from the back door.  And there were hammocks. The outdoor "kitchen" consisted of a refrigerator (the college sized ones where you could only usually only fit a twelve-pack and some leftover mac and cheese with a "freezer" just big enough for a dozen jello shots in the manufacturers ice tray) plugged into the side of the wall on a screened in porch.  And of course a piece of plywood on a sawhorse for "food prep."  I don't consider myself a particularly picky cook (ok who are we kidding I am a bossy kitchen nazi) but I had to draw the line here.


So, after 30+ visits to places with the qualities of those mentioned above you probably understand why I heard little angels playing harps on tiny clouds of happiness when I saw this one.  


Note the walls are solid and you can't see to the outside anywhere. Drywall is finished properly which is useful for preventing an infestation of mosquitoes or centipedes (which can grow to the size of your palm- gooooood morning in my shower!).  These have become important amenities.


I do not have an oven but I do have a 2 burner hotplate.  Granted, the utilities are not included and it is a pain in the ass to get the gas tank ($35 a month), but worth it to be able to cook.  Oh- AND I have a microwave and a brand new A/C unit (above doorway).  I know, I know- don't brag.




As you can see, my fridge also has a freezer.  Just call me Circuit City.




So, though this tiny little place is equivalent to what you would pay in NYC for a crappy loft, because I can't see or smell pigs, cattle, goats, chickens or marsupials, it has 24 hour security and a pool, it continues to be a place I call home (for the duration of my 6-month lease of course).  

No comments:

Post a Comment