1.29.2012

dili hash

I am proud to say that I am now part of the Dili Hash House Harriers ("an international drinking club with a running problem").  Every Saturday around 4pm anyone who wants to run can join the group for a $5 fee, which covers the beer after the run (and sometimes dinner) and takes you through various city and mountainous courses with a group of approximately 50 likeminded, [CRAZY] local and expatriate (thirsty) runners.  

The past two weeks I have joined Dili Hash have been "tame" I am told.  There is always an initiation for new members which consists of making them kneel in front of the group while a fictitious/embarrassing (or both) story is told about the person to introduce them to the group. 


I was introduced with a clever lie about my reason for moving to Dili- "purchasing old shipping containers to resell as shabby chic ecohousing."  Depending on the person's real job (and if that is actually revealed as many times it is not), sometimes people pour various beverages on them because they want them to feel "extra welcome."  This happens often with lawyers.  

There is a grand puba of sorts (yes he does normally wear a special vest and outfit and a top hat which he had to remove to drink this beer through the pvc pipe arm restraint to the left).  He is in charge of mapping the course, the beer stop logistics, as well as the post-run hydration sessions that mostly involve drinking copious amounts of alcohol and badgering obscinities from witty Aussies with extremely colorful vocabularies.  It is very amusing.

This is one of the most fun group of people I have ever met.  Aside from my book club.

Let me insert here that I have not partaken in these events as extensively as I describe them.  I simply want you to understand the full breadth of debauchery that goes on.  I remain a moderate participant.

This week, we ran along the beach and then kayaked out through a course with buoys.  I of course assumed it was a race and started off with force and determination.  I finished first, only to discover that it was not a race.  But I won!?  I got over myself and had a cold beer and watched the sun set.

Throughout the week anyone who is a part of the Hash group has an opportunity to become an "offender" by doing something stupid.  Then, another Hasher calls the person on it in front of the group and you become a public offender and must be reprimanded.  As you can see from the below photo, the "offenders" are forced to simultaneously imbibe whatever anyone puts in their cup which is attached to a board as they are cheered by the other Hashers.  I'm new, so that hasn't happened to me yet.  Thank goodness. 


Two weeks from now is the red dress run.  Everyone (males and females) must wear a red dress and we run through the city looking like idiots much to the delight of the locals.  I'm sure I will have a lot to share with you after that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment