1.31.2012

in need of an adjustment

For all of you who know me well, you know how important chiropractic is to me.  I grew up in a family of chiropractors and have been receiving chiropractic care since I was a small child. My family business works with chiropractors to support their patients bodies from their feet up, using custom-made foot orthotics.  We support the chiropractic profession and I miss being so close to such important, holistic healthcare option for people who want to be drug-free and let their bodies heal themselves.  I drink the Kool-Aid, y'all.  


Aside from being extremely sad to leave my family and friends to move to Dili, I had serious reservations about coming here because there are no chiropractors in Timor-Leste (that I know about).  I went to a Pilates class tonight that confirmed this.  Sad, very sad.


The feeling I get after a great cervical spine and extremities adjustment is like no other feeling.  I breathe deeper, stand taller and can relish in the fact that my nervous system is alive, well and functioning better than it was before my adjustment.  It is my alternative to ibuprofen, Claritin, and valium.  It quiets the mind and warms the heart.  It makes me a better person.


My passion for chiropractic is genetic, no doubt.  My grandfather was drafted for WWII and received a bad vaccine.  Out of the group of 150 young men who died, he was the only survivor.  He was in an iron lung for 6 months and prayed to die.  As a last resort his mother brought in a chiropractor and he thought his prayers were answered because chiropractors didn't have the best reputation...


After 2 adjustments he walked out of the hospital. 


Many people have experienced similarly inspiring, life-changing experiences from chiropractic care.  Though I have not had something that dramatic happen to me (thank goodness) I can say how much I miss my bimonthly visits to my chiropractor.  The Dili Hash, sitting at desks that aren't ergonomically correct (let alone level), and losing your footing on the crumbling roads and potholes the size of small elephants can do a number on you and I need an adjustment.  


Can someone please persuade a DC to move to Dili?  We have coconuts!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Crocodile Island, I am a Chiropractor coming to Timor Leste for a two week visit in June 2012, I would love to swap some care for some local insights. Feel free to email or call Australia 21(0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love that! You made my day. Can you please provide an email so we can communicate that way- the phone # didn't come through and email is really the best way to communicate because phones are very expensive. Looking froward to meeting you!

      Delete