2.01.2012

is it february already?

Where has the first month of 2012 gone?


Can I just say to all of my friends in the Northern Hemisphere that I really am sorry that you have had to wear heavy coats and sweaters for the majority of the month.  Ok so that was a dig, but hey- you have 24 hour power (without generators!), and faster than 52 kbps download speed costing less than $1,000/month and roads with working traffic lights.  And I have hot weather.  Everyone's a winner.


I have officially been in Dili 2 weeks and am adjusting to life here fairly well.  Though I still get momentarily distracted when I see things like this in front of my office. He is really cute, isn't he?  I've named him Pedro.  He has been there the past few days cleaning up the yard.  




Ah, Dili.  Love ya.


Living here has been a fairly smooth transition. I'm a very independent person.  When I was little it was always "No mom I can do it myself." As a 30 yr. old (adult?), it still holds true. However, being car-less and dependent on others for transportation to and from work during the day and at night (it's not safe for me to be alone around dusk or after) has me going bonkers.  But I'm learning to adjust.  Perhaps this is the time in my life when I am supposed to learn to be patient?


When meeting people here in Dili usually the first question that is asked is "where are you from?"  And because at this point we are speaking to one another I assume its obvious- I have the same accent as all those people on Friends, Baywatch and all the other syndicated shows we watch over here.  Same one.  At this point I like to play the guessing game which usually results in having a much more interesting conversation than just answering the question outright.   My fun little game is quite entertaining because I am continually surprised at the answers I get.  I have been mistaken for the following: Egyptian (three different times), Lebanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Mexican, and Filipino.  Filipino.  People guess everything but American.  Winning!


So yeah- all that happened in January and I was really amused with the goat today.  Happy February, y'all.



1 comment:

  1. awww pedro! how presh. fortunately for us... it was 69' today. no long coats here! i ran in a tee shirt and shorts :) however... no beach which is a bummer... if you're into beaches ;)

    ReplyDelete