2.14.2012

crazy monkey love

I am happy to report that I finally saw monkeys while visiting Baucau over the weekend.


Even though they were caged they seemed happy, well fed and in general so adorable.   It was thrilling to see them up close and watch them interact.  I had to stop myself several times from sticking my finger in the cage.  Watching them use their hands and feet to get around their space was fascinating.   Obviously they are very dexterous, limber and they way they swing from place to place is so graceful and effortless.  Their cage was heartbreakingly small, but they seemed in good spirits eating their banana peels (no it's not just in the movies- they really eat the peels) and jumping from one side of the chain link cage to the other.  


The most common species of monkeys here in Timor are the long-tailed Macaque.  They live about 31 years and are not really endangered (according to the main site I looked at).


This little guy melted my heart.



fingers and toes




Hope you enjoyed this little bit of crazy monkey love.  


To my family and friends on this day that celebrates love, I celebrate you.  No matter where in the world I am or how far apart we are you are always with me in my heart.


Happy Valentine's Day.





1 comment:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day Jamie- we miss you, you cute little monkey!

    ReplyDelete