2.13.2012

full moon in baucau

This weekend I went to the most amazing full moon party in Baucau, a bumpy 3 hour drive east of Dili.  My friends and I left Saturday afternoon and arrived in Baucau around 7 pm.  


Leaving Dili, traveling the main road.



The water is amazing.


The road follows the sea the entire way.


Everyone fits on (not necessarily in) the Microlet.  One thing is for sure- on these high mountain roads they had a much bumpier ride than we did.



On the way to Baucau we passed lots of farmland and rice paddies.  People work them every day of the week.  



They reflect the most beautiful light at sunset.




When we got to the hotel my friends approached a nice older gentleman with whom they chatted briefly and asked me to take their picture.  I assumed it was a colleague. No problem! I started to recommend the move this way and that way to get the best background; they hurriedly encouraged me to just take the picture.  After the gentleman said goodbye to us all, but not before I of course stuck my hand out in a very American hihowyadoin kind of way and introduced myself, I found out that the man I was directing to better light was Dom Duarte Pio, 6th Prince Royal of Portugal. Basically if Portugal were to have a Monarchy, he would be the King.  Way to go me.


After our brush with Portuguese royalty we sat down to a late dinner and then drove to the beach around 11:30 pm.  The guesthouse bungalow setup was filled with cooler of ice, fruits (watermelon, passionfruit, lemons, limes, mangoes, papayas, dragon fruit, apples, etc.) and various kinds of mixers.  There were 2 small stages set up at various locations on the compound which overlooked the ocean.  In the moonlight it was indescribably beautiful.


The main area featured locally DJ'd electronica music while the second stage had a mix of Janis Joplin, the Beatles, and various 70's rock karaoke.  There were no lights to speak of- only the full moon (which was actually a waning gibbous as the actual full moon was this past Wednesday- but hey- minor detail).  People stayed until the sun rose.


I'm waiting on my tripod to come in my shipment of stuff I sent 6 weeks ago (thanks for slowing things down, customs office) which I will hopefully get this week so no great moon pictures- yet.  But this picture of the beach the next day was pretty amazing.  We swam in this warm clear water before heading back to Dili.  Truly paradise.




It was a perfect weekend full of great conversations, new friends and of course, the beach.  What more could a girl ask for?





No comments:

Post a Comment