2.09.2012

carolina blues

Even though I live approximately 9,956 miles away from the Dean Dome I still woke up this morning with butterflies in my stomach.  Game day.

Any Carolina/Duke basketball game is very important, as there are only 2 (during regular season), and it is crucial that Carolina win both.  Each team has the opportunity to outshine the other and win bragging rights for the glory that is the #1 rivalry in the history of college sports, which was also nationally ranked as the #3 most contentious rivalry across all US sporting events.  It's major.  Only 8 miles apart, each school has an undying hatred for the other.  It's a beautiful thing and I am a proud supporter of the winningest team- the CAROLINA TAR HEELS. 

Today I thought I would have to break a very important tradition in my (sports) life.  After all, I live in Asia and am 16 hours away from the relevant timezone.  Because I've been working on managing expectations of all things in my life this week, I just added this to the list.  

As a die hard Carolina fan I wore my carolina blue flats and my "Beat Duke" button all day (yes I packed it!) and had a great time telling people at the Ministry of Finance about the significance of today and educating the people of Timor-Leste about everything great, just and right with the world that is Carolina.

A miracle happened, and I ended up going to lunch at the only place in Dili showing the game and caught the last 10 minutes of the 2nd half.  I can't talk about the end because it wasn't pretty.  I'm still furious- dejected even.  And no, I'm not being dramatic.  But I take comfort in the fact that despite our unfortunate loss today, North Carolina still leads the all-time series 131-102.   Suck on that Coach K.

So Heels, we have a lot of preparation to do before the next game on March 3.  Please be ready to win.  I will be cheering you on again as I always have no matter where I am in the world, hoping for a W.  


1 comment: