2.04.2012

new phone, holla!

So I finally bit the bullet and bought a cell phone here.  My work provided a very basic (as in punch in the number and dial and that's it) phone when I stepped off the plane.  I finally cut the string off of the end and jimmy rigged it so it still works without the tin can.  Anyway, I've been using that to communicate and it's served its purpose.


I have been quite spoiled enjoying the 4G Android phone and all it's glory in the US.  Coming from that to the monopoly of Timor Telecom and their absolutely horrifficly slow, circa 1995 internet and phone service (I may as well have a phone in a shoulder bag), this little toy phone wasn't doing it for me.  Knowing I would never pay the $1,100 for an unlocked iPhone here I decided to shell out $38 and buy a very swanky Chinese-made E-gos cell phone.  Sure, the misspellings of the English keys are a bit annoying, but I'm familiar enough with the alphabet that I can fill in the blanks.  It has a 12.1 megapixel camera (actually around 5 according to the store manager- because those crazy Chinese like to fib) and a color screen.  I'm big time now baby.


Perhaps the best thing about the phone is that even though it appears brand new (and I paid for a "new" phone), it is not.  The previous user left several gems on the phone's memory card for me.  For example, here are the 4 songs that alternate as ringers from my playlist:


1.)  Surrender, Celine Dion
2.)  My Heart Will Go On, Celine Dion
3.)  Don't have a clue but it's amazing
4.)  Hit me Baby (One More Time), Britney Spears




So, you must understand why I am so excited about this new purchase.


I will attempt to understand how to work through all the little bits of weird that come with owning a new phone and continue to add my cool American slang and probably create a whole new 'badass' dictionary (badass is a new addition- hooray!) for the next user.  I like to think of it as passing it forward.


All I can say is, with Britney at my side I'll never walk the streets of Dili alone again.





No comments:

Post a Comment